Saturday, December 17, 2016

HOOKED ON HOKKIEN MEE

Thursday night in KL is too late to go back to Jalan Alor for the oyster pancake and Wong Ah Wah's famous chicken wings.

But it was just alright for one last foray to Jalan Petaling, KL's Chinatown and the equivalent of our Divisoria, to sample a plate of Hokkien Mee, those thick yellow noodles darkened with soy sauce and cooked over a raging charcoal fire.

Google said the best place for that would be at the Kim Lian Kee Restaurant who have been serving the dish since 1927, perhaps the heirs of a food hawker named Wong Kian Lee who is credited with cooking up the dish from his stall in the 1920s.

Ulrike's verdict: the noodle is just fine but the spicy fried rice, stir fried vegetables, and chicken pot are better.


My verdict: the flavor is there and I like the crunch of deep fried pork fat lurking between the noodles, waiting to ambush the palate with every bite along with the embedded pieces of shrimps and vegetables, and it went well with the Skol beer forced on us by the hyperactive server!  

Back at the Seri Pacific Hotel, the almost all-women unrolled it's agenda on business and human rights.

Their verdict: the corporates should account for the impacts of their investments and business operations, especially on women.


The other guy also got to present the story of Assam tea plantation workers.

His verdict [I presume]: he is as happy as I am to know that there are in fact two guys in the meeting.


I was in the company of amazing women from around the world and listening to them inspired me to assume that I can and I must deliver what I am being asked to do in my new work in less than 3 months.

I sure got a lot of help from them in understanding the United Nations General Principles on Business and Human Rights, and I cheered silently when big business was described as "EVIL" several times because I totally agree that they are indeed such. 


Okey then Bulan, go and prove that the P6k registration plus your P3k allowance for the National Debate Contest is worth the stress of taking the MRT from Quezon Avenue to Taft, and then the LRT from Taft to Pedro Gil after my jaw-dropping experience of riding the seamless train system of Kuala Lumpur. 

And we have to take the bus home on the last working Friday before the holiday break!

No comments: