Thursday, December 11, 2014

THE LONG MARCH TO PLAZA SAN MARTIN (Part 1: The Broken Column)

I can't actually remember the last time I joined a march [i.e. mass action/mobilization].

Was that the one that ended at UP-Diliman, or that where I was photographed tying together the banners of LFS and MASP?

What I'm sure is I was single then with my trademark overused bristling toothbrush sticking from the back pocket of a torn and faded fake Levi's, tubao draped over a blazing batik shirt, threadbare mojo sandals, and no money to buy even a stick of Winston Red.

That was like ages ago.

Until the perks of a yellow badge finally brought me back to the streets where I learned more than what was taught us in the university.











The 5.5-kilometer People's March for Climate Justice took some 4 hours as a massive column of around 20,000 people from around the world got stuck at the Campo de Marte before traffic broke it into platoons that eventually regrouped on the approach to Plaza San Martin.

Lima have not seen such huge march in a long while.

Neither do I.

Without me knowing it, I have arrived at Lima's Historic Center...

No comments: