Thursday, April 07, 2011

STUCK IN AN ELEVATOR

I said I'll burn a kilo in Bangkok.

So I walked to and from the UNESCAP everyday.

Rice was a no-no and really tightened on the diet to the point of not having any dinner.

My solemn obligation was never to use the hotel elevator going up and down my 6th floor room.

I tried hard but on the 4th day, I gave in to the temptation of big bowl of beef noodles which the devil said would be great with a plate of spicy pork salad and a slice of blue berry cheesecake.


I thought the German UN staff was cute so I started riding the shuttle with her.

On the last day, I finally took the slow rickety elevator ride up and immediately wished I had not when the floor indicator started going crazy at the 4th floor and it became stop-and-go from there.

The lights went off and on and off and so I yelled for help.

It was like that for 10 minutes before a muffled Thai conversation announced a possible rescue.

I managed to to pry the inner door an inch and finally saw my first human after what seemed like an eternity.

At last, the handyman came with the keys and that's when I learned that the elevator was midway between the 6th and 7th floors.

The UNFCCC intersessional in Bangkok was like that.

Stuck in an elevator.


FOOTNOTE: The photo of me above inside the UNESCAP plenary hall was taken by Usec. Fred Serrano. The photo processing is mine.

No comments: