Friday, August 10, 2012

THE SPEECH


In 2009, then MD RIII-D District Deputy Grand Master Emmanuel Antonio M. Umali hosted a tribute for Past District Deputy Grand Masters and Senior Masons where VW Antonio P. Pascual was supposed to deliver the response in behalf of the honorees. He prepared his speech, by his own hand, which unfortunately was not delivered that night. That speech was finally delivered during the Last Rites tendered for him by Munoz Royal Court No. 17 of the Order of the Amaranth. In his memory and to honor him, that speech is being published now; perhaps the parting words of wisdom from an exemplary Mason on his final journey to the Celestial Lodge, to his fellow Travelers who are tasked to continue the work of the Craft in this earth...


"Right Worshipful Sir, Very Worshipful Sirs, Worshipful Sirs, Friends, Ladies, and All.

After wandering my eyes inside this hall and see the faces of everyone, I am finally convinced that I am the most senior Mason among us here present today. The truth to say is I am now 86 years of age with 15 grandchildren, two of which are the daughter and son of Bro. and Mrs. Lino Carandang. For all you know, Bro. Lino Carandang is a Fellow Craft Mason of Model Lodge No. 373 at Baloc, Sto. Domingo, Nueva Ecija. He is expected to be raised to the sublime degree of a Master Mason on October 3, 2009 while my daughter, Pacita P. Caarandang, is a manager of Metrobank in Cabanatuan City.

At my age of 86, I feel still young in heart, strong, healthy, willing, and able but no longer usable. But in spite of a damaged spinal cord, I managed to stand upright to avoid being humpbacked.

How and why I’ve maintained a normal bodily heath is due to my belief and learning in Masonry: “When human strength and wisdom fails, divine assistance vouchsafes us thru the medium of prayer”.

I always pray to the one and only living God whose power and wisdom are explicitly beyond the challenges of the most powerful men on earth.

Going back to my younger age, I wish to share with you my experience and accomplishment as a Mason. I served my Lodge, Memorial Lodge No. 90, as Worshipful Master for 4 years. It was also during those trying years that I organized Munoz Royal Court No. 17 of the Order of the Amaranth where I served as Royal Patron for 8 years. Today, the Court has more than 100 active members.

How I managed to perform those accomplishments is perhaps due to my robust enthusiasm, my deep commitment, my loyalty, and dedication to the principles of Freemasonry.

Today, Masonic District RIII-D, in line with the plans and programs of MW Grand Master Peter Lim Lo Sur, is giving a tribute to senior Masons and PDDGMs which I believe is a good precedent for other Lodges to follow which will serve as an ardent gift of gratitude and affection to all senior Masons.

Thanks to the keen foresight of the District officers headed by VW Emmanuel Antonio M. Umali for sponsoring this kind of program.

Thanks also for giving me a chance to give a short response in behalf of my co-senior Masons.

Again, thank you, good night, and God Bless."

#

No comments: