Wednesday, April 25, 2007

JARMMS

The devil S in harmony with the angels is an impossibility but it did happened once in Hogwarts. They were all BSEd with the angels in Biology and the devil S in English (as most of his type were and are). They were seats apart when Atlas shrugged and the ceiling came down during a History class in 1990. From there on, they were together.

It amazed the professors at Educ that the devil S always get high scores in exams because he is more absent than present in their classes. He only have this tattered folded refill Cattleya notebook tucked in the back pocket of his Hippie-dirty imitation Levi’s (along with a buhaghag toothbrush on the other pocket). They did not know that during the trying moments of those exams, the angels carried the devil S by letting him peek at their test papers and passing him folded clues that always unlocked the mysteries of those frightening questions. And they never learned --- even the angels --- that the folded Cattleya notebook is actually a magic wand that broke the spells of those exams when every possible Muggle solution has failed.

More than exams, the angels finally convinced the devil S to declare a truce on his war with religion. They were all there --- armed with buckets of water and a fire extinguisher in case the devil S suddenly flames up (as devils do when they enter a house of God) --- when the devil S served as a mass commentator for the first and only time in his life. The angels were so protective of their devil that Lady Barnacle tried to cast an evil spell on them in a fit of jealous rage.

In his perpetual gratitude, the devil S would always walk them home after every class: angels A and M2 in Ladies’ Dorm 3, and angels J, R and M1 in Ladies Dorm 6. The devil S was so always around and protective that nobody dared pay courtship to his angels.

Before the Hogwarts graduation rites, the angels and the devil paid homage to their friendship through a journey where their stories began: in angel M2’s Cuyapo (little she who dreamed of marrying a big and tall American); in the devil S’s Almaguer where they married angel J and her beau in the dacquel nga carayan (angel J have water lily flowers for a bouquet and they all have tupig for the wedding feast); in angel A’s Tarlac where they had their sweetest tocino ever; in angel M1’s Aliaga where the devil S cocooned after every soul breaking episode; and in angels J and R’s San Miguel where their happier memories were enshrined forever.


Profiles: Other Simbahans Along the San Miguel-NLEX Stretch

CHURCH OF SAN MIGUEL ARKANGHEL (SAN MIGUEL, BULACAN). The mayumo in San Miguel de Mayumo means sweet in reference to the abundance of honey in the area. It already exists as a visita before 1607. The first parochial buildings were made of nipa and cogon. Fr. Juan Tombo (OSA) supervised either the building or rebuilding of the present church in 1848. He also intitiated the building of the 24-kilometer San Miguel-to-Gapan road. Fr. Francisco Arriola (OSA) supervised the completion of the church in 1869. He together with Father Tombo and Fr. Eugenio Ortiz (OSA) initiated the building of the magnificent convent. The church is a mute witness to the surrender of the last Spanish troops in San Miguel to Filipino Katipuneros led by Col. Pablo Tecson. An Italian artist named Alberoni later supervised the painting of the church’s dome and nave ceilings. Japanese bombs damaged the church in 1941. It has been restored several times but remain basically the same.

CHURCH OF SAN JUAN DE DIOS (SAN RAFAEL, BULACAN). San Rafael was established in 1750 by laborers from the San Juan de Dios estate. There are no records on the building of early parochial buildings. In 1863, a convent and probably a church were built. Fr. Antonio Piernavieja (OSA) had the present church and convent built from 1868 to 1877. The buildings have undergone considerable renovations since then. The church is the site of the bloodiest battle in the province of Bulacan between Katipuneros led by Gen. Anacleto “Matanglawin” Enriquez and Spanish soldiers under Col. Lopez Arteaga. Some 800 Katipuneros died in the battle, including “Matanglawin”.

CHURCH OF SAN AGUSTIN (BALIWAG, BULACAN). Baliwag was established in 1732. The building of the first church started in 1734 and completed in 1748. Fr. Gregorio Giner (OSA) had the first stone church built from 1769 to 1774. Fr. Esteban Diez (OSA) supervised the construction of the convent that was once considered to be the best in the Philippines, and initiated the building of a new church. Both were finished by 1830 and these are probably the present buildings. The construction of the bell tower that was started during the time of Father Diez was completed in 1866 under the supervision Fr. Matias Navoa (OSA). Fr. Tomas Gresa (OSA) had the church repaired after it was damaged by the earthquake of 1880. The plaza fronting the church was once considered to be one of the most beautiful in the Philippines and compared with the La Granja de Segovia in Spain. Today’s clutter of market stalls and the building of a perimeter fence has lost its luster.

CHURCH OF SAN ISIDRO EL LABRADOR (PULILAN, BULACAN). San Isidro was established in 1749. Fr. Juan Rico (OSA) started the construction of a church probably in 1826 to replace an exiting one. In 1850, the town became known as Pulilan after its most famous barrio. Twice, an earthquake damaged the church: in 1863 and 1880. Fr. Miguel de Celis (OSA) initiated rebuilding what might be the present church. Since then, succeeding restoration works were conducted. Pulilan is the hometown of the famous kneeling carabaos.

CHURCH OF SANTIAGO APOSTOL (PLARIDEL, BULACAN). Fr. Pedro Vasquez (OSA) already had makeshift parochial buildings built in Quingua --- Plaridel’s old name --- from 1580 to 1595. It was annexed to Malolos in 1599 and accepted by the Augustinians as a mission in 1605. A church was then built in the present site under the supervision of Fr. Diego Pardo (OSA). Fr. Tomas Quijano (OSA) later supervised the building of a stronger church and convent in 1722. Between 1771 and 1778, Quingua became the subject of a tug-of-war between the Augustinians and the Archbishop of Manila. The church was struck by lightning and razed by fire in 1772. It was immediately rebuilt and this must be the present building. Some of the Augustinian’s money and jewels were hidden in the church during the British invasion of Manila. The church was again damaged in the 1863 earthquake and was immediately repaired. Its first Filipino priest, Fr. Victorino Lopez, joined the Katipuneros under Capt. Jose Serapio during the revolution against Spain. American soldiers established their headquarters and field hospital in the church in 1899. Quingua was renamed Plaridel in honor of Gen. Gregorio del Pilar.

2 comments:

philosophia said...

nakakahalata na ko, panay ang sulat mo lately ha. nakakatuwa naman ang mga pics nyo.

by the way, you're a good devil, S!

Shen said...

Thanks for this article. I have added your brief history of the Church of San Agustin at www.baliuag.net.

Would it be possible for us to exchange links? I will add your link to www.baliuag.net as well.

In fact I have already added it under Blogs.

Thanks!

Dave

P.S. Please also register at the website for free.