Monday, January 21, 2019

CLEMENTINE@49

PROLOGUE: Clementine is the first name of Baroness Spencer Churchill, wife of Winston Churchill, illicit daughter of an affair between Lady Blanche [move over Lady Chatterley!] and a "noted horseman". "Oh My Darling Clementine" was a Spanish ballad popularized by Mexican miners during the California Gold Rush, Anglicized by certain persons, made famous by Bing Cosby to becoming one of the Top 100 Western Songs of all time, and my birthday song.  


"Through the ricefields
O'er the mountains
Burning fat and calories
Hails a biker 20-niner 
And his age is 49"  



"Oh my uric, oh my sugar
Oh my amputated bile
I have aged [Yes!] 
I am old [No!]
It's great to be 49"



EPILOUGE: Clementine is a tangor, a cross between a tangerine and an orange, sweet and easy to peel  and is locally known in the Munoz Public Market as kyat-kyat. Clementine has nothing to do with the photo below although I did a duet with  Kuya Monic on "Oh My Darling Clementine" a day after turning 49, and that is what's on my mind while eating my phad thai and drinking my Chang. 


NOTE: This is to acknowledge Wikipedia as the sole source of all information on Clementine cited here. 

No comments: