Tuesday, January 02, 2018

CAUGHT BETWEEN HOLIDAYS

Between Christmas and New Year's Day are 6 days and on the sixth of these days, I should be submitting a final report that as of Christmas Eve stood at 70 percent completed with two partners' reports in except for two case studies, one big report and two smaller ones being chased, and a colleague in Bangkok churning out the financials from OPAL. 

In other words, redeeming my Mabuhay Miles points with a Bangkok trip with the wife between the holidays popped out like a sweet dream punctured by a nightmare and I can't go anywhere either as I have been crucified in my lap top until deliverance through the submission of the remaining narratives from the field and the draft spreadsheet from Bangkok.

But first there was Christmas which is happy wedge of cheesecake between two hard slabs of stale fruitcake and we did have a Christmas cake presented by friends, brunched on noche buena left-overs that was our sole Christmas meal and got a high from the sweet aroma of chocolate cookies Bulan baked for the holidays.



And on the first of the 6 days between holidays
a partner sent a final reviewed report
an Auditor said he will send a bid
Jakarta emailed a reclassification request
and I was still hungover from last night.

On the second of the 6 days between holidays
Bangkok finally responded from India
a draft financial report was conjured
I got the last regional case study
consolidation and editing in full swing.

On the third of the 6 days between holidays
someone responded for somebody on vacation
four briefs were sent for sign-off
I got started with the UP narratives
we conferred the 19th-30th degrees.  

On the fourth of the 6 days between holidays
the donor okayed another extension
somebody took over from someone
still no word from Jakarta and Bangkok
tested some whiskey from S&R in Pampanga. 


On the fifth of the 6 days between holidays
Jakarta finally sent a report
Bangkok responded through Facebook
I attended an official EJK commemoration
drank cheap brandy at another party.

And on the sixth of the 6 days between holidays
Lotus Notes went on holiday
the 31st has been moved to January
so I went for my 3rd ride of the week...


...and prayed my thanks in a Monastery.



Then came the first day of the New Year so we cooked all the the remaining spaghetti packs, packed all uneaten holiday junk and hired a van to Pangasinan where we I got reunited with my younger sister and her clan.

They had fake waves and clumsy slide rides while I nursed my wine [Australian, Chilean, French in that order] with grilled and ceviche-d Bonuan bangus and blanched oysters because the pigar-pigar will only be available for dinner.   

It was the 7th day after the 6 days between holidays so here's to 2018 and the health of the Cardinal Pope! 


No comments: