Monday, May 25, 2015

THE PASSING

INDUCTION: The formal act or process of placing someone into a new job, position, government office, etcetera [Merriam-Webster].

The references got called, the offer sheet signed, the paperwork submitted.

And I waited, feeling my way around, as new acronyms tumbled, as I moved to my assigned place, as equipment got requested, in a sense the calamansi and sili waiting to temper the condiment to be poured. 


My old service vehicle showed up as if to say goodbye, and hello perhaps, while I got pulled into a workshop, wide eyed and wondering where to go and what to do next.


The next day, I drowned in awe in the shadows of Filipino masters, in Rizal's famous love life, in old photographs from the Filipino-American War, as the Yuchengco Museum yielded to my curiosity and the Blessed Genius of Ang Kukiok, Victor Edades, Vicente Manansala, Fernando Amorsolo, Botong Francisco, Jose Joya, and Juan Luna stared back to almost assure me that yes, a Schengen Visa will grace my passport once again.


I said my final goodbyes to the Climate Warriors and quickly hied to get a bus for the wife's birthday, never mind that a Gordian Knot of a traffic jam made me walk the last two kilometers until a riding-in-tandem picked me up, just in time for the wife's birthday dinner.


The pansit was great, and Bulan's cheesecake had too much lemon but still worthy of reminiscing Calea in Bacolod City and definitely greater than the pansit, the cassava cake, the log cake, and the ice cream.

I'm into my rite of passage and I'm halfway in...

No comments: