Friday, July 13, 2012

SHOOTING MAITA


HER STORY: She was a medical student at UP turned beauty queen turned political activist turned underground revolutionary.

THE INSIDE STORY OR HOW I TOOK A SHOT AT MAITA: It was a boring conference called "Bantay-Kaban: Kaban ng Bayan, Bantayan!" in Clark-Pampanga where we discussed of things we already knew. It's Maita Gomez facilitating the plenary so I took out my camera, surveyed the best but most inconspicuous vantage point, and clicked 2 or 3 photos. I thought this was the best I got and would post it on flickr and facebook later. That evening, me and Kuya Milo Tanchuling met with a long lost brother from Tayabas Lodge and ended up drinking beer until midnight. That night, I slept at the floor of Pare Amor Cabico's room at the Holiday Inn as the villa where I was supposed to be billeted was locked from inside by my room mates. Weeks later, I learned that Kuya Milo was diagnosed with a Stage 4 metastatic colorectal cancer. Yesterday, the news broke that Maita died in her sleep. Today is Friday the 13th and I am finally posting the photo I took of her...  

No comments: