Monday, January 22, 2024

WHEN I'M 54 (in Luang Prabang)

With apologies to the Beatles...

When I get older in Luang Prabang
Four days before now
Did you send them the carrot cake
54 years in a bottle of wine



I'd been here since Monday noon
Would you lock the gates 
Will we still need dams, will they still flood towns
When I'm fifty-four

They'll be older too
And if you say finance
I'll drink Lao beer with you


I could be handy, climb Mount Phousi
When the sun is gone
Knit protection and care by the fire
Cold Thurday morning alms
Doing inclusive, being responsive
Its a transition

Will you still need me, will you still hire me
When I'm fifty-four


Every year we book flights
To Bangkok and Hanoi that are not too dear
We scrimped and save Bali
January in Luang Prabang
Beerlao in the evenings


Send me a workplan, drop me an outcome
State a clear target
Indicate precisely how much you need
Yours is old but not wasting away


Give me a sai oua and a fish
Meat for everyone
Will you still need me, will you still hire me
When I'm fifty-four


No comments: