Monday, October 21, 2019

THE RISE OF THE CREATININES

I play ball (sometimes), I bike (often), I think (always).   

My body therefore produce high-energy phosphates more than the average person to recycle the adenosine triphospate generated by my biking and thinking.


The resulting chemical waste is creatinine that is filitered by the kidneys and discharged in the urine.


An elevated creatinine level in the blood means that the body's purifiers (the kidneys) may be out of sync.   




But other than strenuous physical activity (which my biking is not) and being muscled (which I am not), red meat and a high protein diet (which I have in the last 3 months) can also jack up creatinine levels.

On a happy note, medical studies were not able to establish any association between alcohol consumption (which I enjoy) and an increase in creatinine level, although it is a fact that execessive drinking (more than 4 drinks a day) can impair the kidneys and hamper its function which will result in excess creatinine in the body.  



Mine is a borderline case and no reason for concern but perhaps, white meat (fish and chicken) and more veggies will make my skin smoother. 

And I'll be drinking only during official fellowships and birthdays from now on because moderate alcohol consumption is in fact "beneficial in the prevention of cardiovasculr disease".

Humankind must triumph over the creatinines. 

No comments: