The first Spanish to set foot in what is now the town of
The decline of Lal-lo is the transformation of Tuguegarao as the most important town in Cagayan. It was accepted as an ecclesiastical mission by the Dominicans in 1604 --- 23 years after the foundation of Lal-lo. Its origins is probably a place called Tubigarao that was listed as a Spanish encomienda in 1591. The first parochial building to be constructed in 1598 is a chapel that became the foundation of what is now the Ermita de Piedra de
San Jacinto. The present chapel is the latest in a process of rebuilding --- beginning in 1724 when it was rebuilt by Fr. Bernabe dela Magdalena (OP) until 1892 when it was destroyed in an earthquake.
Tuguegarao’s larger church --- the Cathedral of San Pedro and
The road linking Buguey to Lal-lo (via