Thursday, January 24, 2019

FISH-OFF

First, Khao Tom Pla Kimpo is No. 2 in the list of "16 must-try authentic local food in Bangkok you'll never find out if you don't have Thai friends".

Second, it is said to be the best fish soup in Bangkok.


Third, it is Michellin-listed.


And lastly, I gave a lot trying to find it but it was still closed when I finally found it.


Finally on Tuesday, I said I would make up for not being able to respond to the Consul General's previous three invitations for a food walk so off we went to Charoen Krung Road and were not disappointed. 


The core ingredients are fish, squid and shrimp prepared as salad, with soup or ala arroz caldo.


The soup is created from boiled fish bones and it was bland at first until a few drops of Thai patis unleash its sublime flavor that is allegedly to die for.


My personal take is it is good but I will not die for it.




That was two huge bowls of rice soup and spicy salad that required some burning so I relented when the Consul General invited me to take a look at Bangkok's newest mall at ICONSIAM along the Chao Phraya River.

It was cool alright with a recreated floating market and street food section but I'm not a mall rat and I hate fakes so when told that beer is out for the night, I invited the Consul General to buy me his promised birthday beer at my place instead.



Bangkok for me is the epitome of good food and I'm not referring to the lunch buffet at the Renaissance Bangkok Ratchaprasong Hotel where I indulged myself with sashimi and mussels during two days of the 78th ABAC Meeting, but to the usual fare in small family-owned shops like Khao Tom Pla Kimpo and those sold in street stalls.


What I particularly like with Red Planet Hotel is it does not serve breakfast which gives me the freedom to break my fast the way I want it, and I choose the early morning breakfast stalls along Sukumvit Road.  


And on that note, I conclude that the pandan chicken and omelette at Suda Restaurant near Red Planet-Asoke sucks but their grilled pork can pass.

No comments: